Who's WhoThe Somerset and Dorset Family History Society is run entirely by its Members, working on a purely voluntary basis in their spare time. The Society does not have any paid personnel.
President and Vice-Presidents
The President of the Society is Sir Mervyn Medlycott
Currently there are four Vice-Presidents, Colin Dean, Terry Farmer, David Hawkings and John Howick.
Officers and Executive Committee (EC)
The day to day running of the Society is overseen by two groups of Members, the Officers and the Executive Committee.
The Officers currently consist of the Chairperson (Ann-Marie Wilkinson)
The Secretary (Ted Udall)
The Treasurer (John Marshall)
and two Vice Chairmen, Gerry Burdall, Somerset
and Cynthia Walcot, Dorset
The Executive Committee currently comprises the Officers, the Minutes Secretary and representatives appointed annually by each of the regional Groups of the Society, as follows:
Mid Somerset - Paddy Thomson
West Somerset - Ted Beard
Taunton - Sid Painter
Yeovil - Chris Lawrence
Sedgemoor - Chris Deane
Blackmore Vale - James Pitman
East Dorset - John Damon
South Dorset - Jennie McGowan
West Dorset - Sylvia Creed-Castle
Frome - Sue Simpson
Research Centre Representative - Barry Brock
Health & Safety - John Brooking
Groups Liaison Officer - Judy Hodges
As the Society is a Registered Charity, the Executive Committee members are Trustees, and are bound by the laws relating to Charities.
The EC establishes and manages the policy of the SDFHS; reviews the performance of the Society and plans its future growth and activities; receives reports from the functional committees and approves their activities; manages the finances of the Society.
The Society Journal, The Greenwood Tree, is edited by Bob Barber
& Barbara Elsmore. They can be contacted by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Society Headquarters is at Sherborne.
The following functional committees have been or are being set up.
Terms of Reference
- To propose to the EC a range of publications of interest to family historians with a bias to S & D matters.
- To manage the production, marketing and selling of those and other publications.
- To price the products so that the sales make a contribution to the funds of the Society.
- To agree a budget of expenditure and agree stock holding values.
- To manage the publishing segment of the John Bishop 1641 Fund.
Terms of Reference
- Click here to see the full "Terms of Reference"
RESEARCH CENTRE MANAGEMENT
Terms of Reference to follow
Terms of Reference
- To create, maintain and update such Services as shall be agreed with the EC from time to time.
- To offers services to the members and the public at agreed rates
The various Society Services are currently run by the following Members:
- Dorset Marriage Index - SDFHS HQ
- Dorset Monumental Inscriptions - SDFHS HQ
- Somerset Marriage Index, pre-1754 - Judy Hodges
- Somerset Marriage Index, post-1754 - SDFHS HQ
- Somerset Monumental Inscriptions - SDFHS HQ
- Burials Index - Dave Hearn
- Pedigrees Service - SDFHS HQ
- Wills Database - SDFHS HQ
- Strays Index - SDFHS HQ
- IGI and 1881 & 1891 Census Service - SDFHS HQ
- British Isles Vital Records Index - SDFHS HQ
- "Soldiers Lost in the Great War" Service - SDFHS HQ
- Exchange Journals Service - SDFHS HQ
- Greenwood Tree Back Numbers - SDFHS HQ
- Membership - Bridget Laver
- Society Publications Officer - Murial Monk
- Society Web Site Manager - Chris Lawrence
- Projects Officer - Angela McDonald
Information about each Service can be found on the appropriate page of the Web Site.
GROUP PROGRAMME ORGANISERS
The following Members currently organise the various Groups Programmes of Events:
- Mid-Somerset - Steve Wilkinson
- West Somerset - Jane Butland
- Taunton - Sue Burne
- Yeovil - Sheila Gane
- Blackmore Vale - Judy Hodges
- East Dorset - Pat Hilbert
- South Dorset - David Lane
- West Dorset - Brian Webber
- Sedgemoor - Lin Hoddinott
- Frome - Sue Simpson
Detailed information on each Groups' activities can be found under the main tab "Information" and then click on "Group Meetings"